The Rio Paralympic Games 2016, are starting on Wednesday 7 September and last until 18 September. Around 4350 athletes from 165 countries will compete in 528 medal events in 22 different sports.
These para-athletes show us courage through performance and determination by having a unique strength of character combined with mental toughness. In these games athletes challenge stereotypes, transform attitudes and they hope to increase inclusion and break down social barriers for the impaired.
Enjoy the games! Hereby the link to the official website of the Paralympic Movement: https://www.paralympic.org/rio-2016
We selected for the current event display in the MHS library:
- How it Feels to live with a physical Disability by Jill Krementz
- Straight talk about Prejudice by Rachel Kranz
- It happened to me, Physical Disabilities, The ultimate teen Guide. By Denise Thornton
- The Olympics A history of the Modern Games by Allen Guttmann
- Swifter, Higher, Stronger by Sue Macy
- Where Rio goes from here, article in The brief spotlight, Time Magazine.
Young Adult Fiction:
- Peeling the Onion by Wendy Orr
- Long shot for Paul by Matt Christopher
- Tangerine by Edward Bloor
- Reason of Dreams by Kevin Reed