As part of our health education program and commitment to prevention and wellness, we invited the organization Freedom from Chemical Dependy (FCD) Prevention Works to visit our community. A part of the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, FCD is a non-profit organization that provides substance abuse prevention education for schools world wide.
The FCD speaker addressed the students at St. John’s from 5th grade onwards this week, with a particular focus on grades 8, 9 and 10, as well as teachers and parents.
During their visit, FCD prevention specialists :
- Promoted awareness of addiction, including alcoholism, as a progressive, chronic, and often fatal disease
- Empowered young people to make healthy, responsible choices regarding alcohol and other drug use
- Educated students, parents, teachers, and school administrators on the physiological and psychological effects of alcohol and other drugs
- Taught students and adults to recognize the early warning signs of substance abuse and to intervene appropriately
- Encouraged and supported the non-use of alcohol and other illegal or illicit drugs during the growing years.
- Provided our community with the guidance and training necessary to implement comprehensive, effective approaches to substance abuse prevention
FCD prevention specialists are highly trained professionals who have achieved long-term recovery from alcohol or other drug addictions. This unique perspective enhances the credibility of their message and provides students with role models for happy, healthy, drug-free living.